Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Making your own Kraft Glassine Paper

This is the finished card, the Spellbinders plaque is the Kraft Glassine Paper, I printed
the BasicGrey Digi Paper "Euphora" on it before distressing.
It always starts out so innocently.  I have a pot of pinto beans on the stove, getting all food ready for Michael before I leave on trip.  I have wash in the washer, getting clothes ready and I have a few extra moments, so I come to the computer to print out my supply list for the Tim Holtz "Creative Chemistry 101" online class starting March 19, if you have not heard of it, you might want to check it out, I love his philosophy, I love his sense of style and I love his abandonment into his art process.  One of the items on the supply list is Kraft Glassine paper but when I start looking for it, I don't find it, I can find the 12X12 printed sheets but not the 5X7 plain sheets.  So I decide to go to UTube to watch his kraft glassine video, okay here is where the trouble starts, ROFL.  As I am watching this, my brain is going okay how do they make that paper, stop video and start it over again, need to pay better attention, I have heard him several times in different videos say that this is not wax paper it is kraft paper, true, but that treatment has to be a wax substance of some kind.  Then "soy" wax pops into mind, then "I wonder?"  So I go cut a piece of craft paper, I have melted soy on my candle burner already melted down, I grab a plastic scrapper and a foam brush.  If you are going to try this, I suggest an 8 1/2 by 11" sheet or 5X7" then after you get it down go larger.  Place the sheet of craft paper on a protected area, weight down the 4 corners, then dribble the soy wax over the craft paper as if you are icing cinnamon rolls, covering as much area as possible, but don't sweat the uncovered areas, we will get to that.  Now give the soy wax a minute or so to dry, with your plastic scrapper remove the wax from the paper, (don't throw away the residue, put in plastic bag for future use).  Now take a heat tool and heat the wax on the paper until it is wet looking and with your foam brush spread it evenly across the entire sheet. While it is still wet take a paper towel and remove the excess, do this process 2 or 3 times (just the heating and wiping part). You are done, now if you do not know how to use the paper, go to UTube and watch his video on it, amazing.  I would not suggest you use this hand made paper on scrapbook pages and I am not sure if the store bought is archival safe, you might check that out.  I have posted 4 pics, showing the materials and the finished project.  Happy Tuesday, must get back to my pinto beans. Hugs




This is a close up of the plaquard. I distressed with "Lipstick red, green shutters and straw"



These are your basic tools, forgot to show the paper towels and heat tool

I included the shot so you could see the natural kraft paper and also the transparency of it, all I had was Christmas Kraft Paper, but it worked perfectly.

5 comments:

1CardCreator said...

This is gorgeous Sandi and it looks exactly like the glassing paper!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh my Sandi, you are amazing, simply beautiful hugs

ike said...

Fantastic - you are so full of brilliant tricks and tips. Thanks for this - I might try this myself :-) xx

papillon digital design said...

Wow I was searching if anybody had figured out how to make it and hooray I found your site. Have to give this a go

perhapsitsfun said...

Very interesting!!! Do you think natural beeswax would produce the same result? Not sure what soy wax is. :)